Narrative Description of Project:
The object of the Project is to improve urban sanitation system in Nairobi City by constructing a new sanitary solid waste management site, decommission of the existing dumping site, and providing collection vehicles, thereby formulating appropriate sanitary waste management system and enabling sustainable economic growth in Kenya. In addition, reducing Green House Gas (GHGs) emission from landfill site, it shall contribute to mitigating the negative impact on the global environment. Civil Works of the Project: a) Construction of Solid Waste Management Site (Ruai), b) Decommission of Existing Solid Waste Management Site (Dandora), and c) Provision of Equipment relating to waste collection and Operation and Management Solid Waste Management Site.
Scope of the Feasibility Study: 1) Review the result of the Master Plan, 2) Justify the necessity of the Project, 3) Propose Component of the Project, 4) Propose Appropriate Operation, Maintenance and Management of the Project, 5) Project Evaluation, and 6) Environment and Social Consideration.
Description of Actual Services Provided in the Assignment:1. Follow up on the Financial Plan for the SWM of Nairobi City as set out in the Masterplan 2010;
2. Confirmation of financial condition of the City Council of Nairobi and the Department of Environment.
3. Together with local counterparts, design effective fees and collection scheme to ensure that portion of the capital investment as well as operational costs can be recovered over the project lifetime;
4. Conduct meetings with project stakeholders to understand current scenario gaps;
5. Determine the financial requirements of the investment and its operations versus anticipated returns from collection of garbage fees, tipping fees, and other sources of income;
6. As the investment is not expected to be financially profitable, determine and quantify the social and environmental benefits of the undertaking to justify the subsidies that will be required of the government to support its operations, and thus verify its economic sustainability;
7. Propose other operational strategies to ensure the optimization and sustainability of the project.